Tuesday 20 December 2016

Quick Update


Quick update today as we went to the other hospital to find out about a few things. Consultant had said she would see me 6 weeks into chemo but hadn't,  so I rang secretary with my 2 queries. I had hoped for a call back from secretary but was given an appointment with the consultant instead. I can't be cross about this because I am absolutely sure that consultant doesn't have time to call patients and queries can lead to other things for which (they think) face to face conversations can be better. BUT both of my queries could have been answered in a call which would have taken 5 minutes. I could even have made a telephone appointment entirely at consultant's convenience. 

Instead we drove a 26 mile round trip which takes around 40 minutes, waited in the waiting room for over an hour past the appointment time, then waited a bit more in a private consult room, and then paid for parking for all the time. OH also drove home from work and back again so he could hear the answers to the queries, because I have chemo brain, and I knew I was feeling a bit emotional about a few things. And I have to see consultant again before surgery. 

I can't be cross and I won't be but it isn't any of it at my convenience is it. Thankfully the nurse was someone I have met before but she was toned down today so that was helpful. We did pass another nurse who now feels she has established a relationship with me, but I was talking to OH at the time, so just able to say hello and walk on. I don't want to be mean but that relationship doesn't exist and she is just intrusive. I've started compiling my feedback, very kindly and constructively! 

The outcome of today was that I have surgery on the 01.02.17, and the list is currently clear, so that should be regardless of what surgery it is. We don't know what surgery it is yet because we haven't had genetics back. Test was on 27.09.16 and they take about 3 months usually, so there should be time with leeway, for me to know the outcome. I have rung them today to give them my surgery date and the consultant will write to them, so hoping to get results back in time to inform the surgery date. We are clearly not waiting whatever so I hope it all comes together as it should. 

So have had one surgery, one more chemo to go on the 30th, then more surgery, then radiation. They call it slash + poison + burn behind the scenes apparently. Consultant asked how chemo was going, and I think in oncology world I am doing ok, so said that. I haven't after all had any hospital admissions or infections etc. Also said that I had found it grim and I wouldn't have it again, she made crossed fingers sign, at which point I said I obviously hoped not to have more cancer as well but that I'd meant I would not have chemo again. Perhaps they think I am ungrateful particularly since I also discussed the outcome of the surgery I've just had and how I feel about that (mutilated). We also looked at photos of what will be done, and although I won't turn out exactly like those people, I think it will be better than where I am now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment